Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Kayaking in Ohio


I finally got the kayak out on the water the other day. After hauling it on top of my little car all the way from Utah and lugging it all over from one living place to another, it all finally paid off. It's a 12' Old Town Loon made in 2006. I got it a pawn shop in Alabama two years ago and it came with the two piece paddle and a nicely upgraded foam seat with adjustable back rest. I can't wait to get it out on Lake Erie and some of the many rivers in the area.

Here are a couple shots of it on the road trip from Utah to Ohio. Coming across Wyoming the winds were literally 50 mph plus and it I thought it was going to blow the thing right off the car.



Here we are on Lake Medina, just a mile from where I work and live. It was the first place I put in here in Ohio. Went out at about 7:00 am after my night shift and it was very peaceful and quiet. A little mist was rising off the water in the back coves which was neat.



The following 4 pictures are from my second outing. The next day I went to Portage Lakes south of Akron and had a nice long paddle. There are a lot of houses built along the sides with boats at the docks. Not exactly the serene natural setting I prefer but it was nice anyway. A lot of fishermen in boats, as expected on a Sunday morning.





I look forward to getting out with it more this summer. More pictures to follow.

A couple of quick pics of my trip to Mogadore Reservoir. There I encountered the largest carp I have ever seen. It nearly swamped me as it was startled and tried to swim away. It must have been at least 3.5 feet long. Nasty.




No comments:

Post a Comment